|Home||Countries province||Tourism||Living History||History||Culture|
|The town hall of the province of Lucca Bagni di Lucca Barga Borgo a Mozzano Camaiore Castelnuovo Garf. Castiglione Garf Montecarlo Pietrasanta Vergemoli Viareggio||Coreglia Antelminelli||City Hall of Coreglia Ant. The castle of Coreglia Ant Churches of S.Michele and S.Martino The countries of Coreglia Antelminelli Page 1 Calavorno Ghivizzano Gromignana Lucignana Piano di Coreglia Tereglio Vitiana|
|Coreglia Antelminelli Google maps|
Antelminelli - Country of Roman origin and medieval castle
Origin name - “Chorelia” – “Corelia” – “Corellie” – Coreglia Antelminelli
First Historical news - In a 983 parchment the first church of the castle "S,Martino" it results to belong to the "Parish of Loppia"
Church - “S.Michele”
Other churches - “S.Martino" Historical church - "S.Martino" (IX° century), the first church of the castle was built out of the boundaries according to the Roman laws and in the list of she asked her some 1260 Lucca Diocese church parish call it always results "Ecclesia S.Martini de Corelia". In the XII° century the Ronaldinghi (noble Longobards) they widened the castle and they built a new church "S.Michele" above the ruins of the old fortress of the castle (the bell tower was built in the old tower), in the XIII° century became the new parish church and in the XIX° century had again widened History country - In the IX° century the castle of Coreglia belonged to the feud of the Ronaldinghis (subsequently it belonged to the Bizzarri and finally to the Altelminelli)
1272 - Coreglia ends under the dominion of Lucca jurisdiction "Vicaria of Coreglia"
XIV° century the "ghibellino" Castruccio Castracane of the Antelminelli (noble of Lucca), it besieges the castle to send away the "guelfi" of Lucca commanded by Ranieri of Mountain Garullo Conte of the "Frignano"
5 October of 1333 after the death of Castruccio, his uncle Francesco Castracane got from the emperor Carlo IV the feud of Coreglia
1352 - the Count Francesco Castracane helped by Giovanni Visconti (noble of Milano) invaded with his soldiers the feud of Barga (friend of Florence), it destroyed the castle of Tiglio and it put under siege Barga, the army of Florence it arrived in help and it defeated Francesco
1352 - after the defeat the emperor Carlo IV turns the feud of Coreglia into the County electing his Count Francesco Castracane of the Antelminelli.
At the end de XIV° century after the death of Francesco Castracane Coreglia returns under the jurisdiction of Lucca
XV° century - Lucca strengthens the castle and during the war with Florence Coreglia it is the only castle of Lucca in Garfagnana that doesn't fall.
April 28 th 1438, after the peace between Florence and Venice Lucca it is forced to surrender the castle of Coreglia to Francesco Sforza
March 27 th 1441 was signed the peace between Lucca and Florence and the castle he definitely returned under the jurisdiction of Lucca "Vicaria of Coreglia"
December 21 st 1862 in honor of the ancient one family of the Antelminelli the country was called Coreglia Antelminelli
Photo Coreglia Antelminelli Country n°1 - n°2 - n°3 - n°4 - n°5 - n°6 - n°7 - n°8 - n°9 - n°10 - n°11 - n°12
|The castle of Coreglia Antelminelli|
|The country of Coreglia, was anciently defended by a small "Castrum", protected from other castles scattered in the near places, among which the castle of "Ansucu", situated to little distance by the country, place today call "Palazzetto", where the Ronaldinghi (noble Longobards) they also possessed a small deprived church. The primitive castle of Coreglia, built around the church of S.Michele it was formed from a fortress defended from a tower (the bell tower of S.Michele) united with some strong boundaries to a series of ramparts, with the burst of the town wars and the destruction of the castle of "Ansucu" happened around the XII century, the fortification resulted inadequate forcing its Lords the Ronaldinghi to build a new fortress (XIII sec.) in the point more aloft of the colas, imposing fortification that in the following centuries it will be theater of hard battles. With the realization of the second fortress the physiognomy of the castle changed radically, the first fortress was dismantled for making place to the new church of S.Michele (XII century) and its tower was also turned to bell tower, the new castle mainly developed him toward north (that line of country will also be said "Castle than Above" in direction of Door to Bridge, while in the south side also said "Castle of Under" a little anymore in low of the primitive door of midday, he was opened a new door "Door to Piastri" to which was set "The Hospitale of S.Maria". Door to Piastri, the principal one brings today still of the visible castle, in the following centuries she was embellished in the external part by a fresco the Madonna of the Miracles (XVI sec.), mended by a roofing supported by a column (XV) and from two marmoreal capitals realized in different epoches (XII and XV sec.). In the inclusive period between the XV and the XVII century, with the increase of the population and the following use of the fire weapons, the castle after a series of amplifications assumed the actual physiognomy, that we can define "triangular" with the three vertexes of the triangle defended from: The Fortress (to east, subsequently strengthened), The Bastion of the "Penna" (to west) and Door to Piastri (to midday) defended by the neighbor "Strong" (military construction perhaps of medieval origin used as bastion), weapons, were modified to "scarp" and in the new defensive system,they were drawn by precedents structures four Bastions, from the mightiest of these Bastions, that of the "Penna" built on the precipice of west, the soldiers of Lucca guarded the valley, above all to the beginning of 1600 when in Garfagnana the lucchesi fought for about twelve years the estensi and the castle of Coreglia he was used as fortitude of support, to the two fortitudes lucchesi (in first line) of Minucciano and Castiglione Garfagnana, with the end of the hostilities the castle of Coreglia, lost the strategic importance and with to spend some years he was definitely demilitarized|
|Photo of the castle of Coreglia Antelminelli|
|Door Piastri" n°1 - n°2 - "Door S.Michele" Bastion "Penna" n°1 - n°2 - n°3 - n°4 - n°5 Tower n°1 - n°2 Entry underground galleries of the castle Fortitude of the castle n°1 - n°2 - n°3 - n°4 - n°5|
|Churches of S.Michele and S.Martino|
|The Romans after their conversion to the Christianity, began to build in all the suburbs of the Val of Serchio of the small churches, a lot of of which have arrived to us (even if during the centuries you are been rehandled), one of these are the church of S.Martino of Coreglia, this first "Chapel" belonging in origin in the Parish of Loppia, in the year 983 Coreglia "Chorelia" we find it quoted in the list of the "Villas" belonging to the Parish, unprovided of "Source Battesimale"e with right of burial, was built out of the boundaries of the "Castrum" as they imposed the Roman laws in that period, despite a little more place in low his Lords the Ronaldinghi inside their ancient castle of Ansuco (Antiucho) they possessed a small church deprived entitled to S.Michele Arcangelo, from the Roman epoch up to the construction of the Collegiate one of S.Michele (XII century), S.Martino was the only church of Coreglia (inside the list of the Estimis of the 1260 Lucca Diocese we find her quoted as "Ecclesia S.Martini de Corelia"). Around the XII century the continuous struggles developed him in the Val of Serchio between Lucca and Pisa forced the Ronaldinghi to modify the defensive system of the castle of Coreglia, the old fortress she was demolished and reconstructed more aloft in the point of the hill and on its ruins a new church she was built entitled to S.Michele Arcangelo (saint revered by the Longobards, to which they asked protection before their victorious battle against the Greek of May 8 th 663), in memory of their old chapel deprived of Ansuco. Not The new very great church was built for around 20 mt among the old tower turned subsequently into bell tower and the Chapel of S.Filippo, the lack of space it made necessary to abdicate the typical location of the altar of that time and to build two doors of entry, attainable through of the staircases, one to midday and one to rising (principal entry). Also this dependent church from the Parish of Loppia in origin was unprovided of "Baptismal Source", that will be granted then century to the beginning of the XIII thanks to the institution in Coreglia of one "Canonica" presided by a Prior, that transformed it from church "Castellana" to "Parish". Later almost one century from his/her consecration in the church "Parish", they were performed some jobs of restructuring and amplification, the old adjacent tower was raised and turned into the bell tower, while the church after having been lengthened was endowed near the entry of east of a new chapel devoted to S.Filippo with the intent to give her a Baptistery, inside which you was put the Baptismal Source, that in the XVI century after having been reorganized will be moved inside the Church. To the beginning of the XIX century the Collegiate of S.Michele is restructured, the apse will be widened, the old sacristy is restored and replaced with a new built behind the Capella of S.Filippo. Photo S.Michele n°1 - n°2 - n°3 - n°4 - n°5 Photo S.Martino n°1 - n°2 - n°3 - n°4 - n°5|