Home
Countries province
Tourism
Living History
History
Culture
 
Tourism
 
Province of Lucca
 
Mountains of Lucca
 
Romanesque Parishes
 
 
 
 
Castles
 
 
 Camporgiano
Castiglione Garfagnana
 Coreglia
 Ghivizzano
 Lucchio
 Montecarlo
 Nozzano
 Trassilico
 Verrucole
 
Lucca city
 
               Roman amphitheater
 
The Roman amphitheatre was built in Lucca during the first half of 1st century AD and was completed in the Flavian age thanks to a Roman citizen named Quinto Vibio, who, during ten years financed the work with 100.000 sesterzis. In the beginning, it rose just above the walls, and was made up of 54 arcades, with two flights of overlapping stairs.  Subsequently, in the VIth century AD, during the siege of Narsete (Gothic wars), it was strengthened by closing the external arcades. In 1300, after innumerable depredation of marbles and stones, used for the construction of other buildings, also inside the arena, all that remained of the amphitheatre was the skeleton (called Arrigo o Per lascio) and the caves, were turned subsequently into the jails (called Del Sasso).In the XIV century, the architect Lorenzo Nottolini, ordered the demolition of the buildings inside the arena and remoulded the amphitheatre giving it itís the actual form.
Vecchi lineamenti romani visibili in alcuni punti nella parte esterna
La piazza interna dell'anfiteatro Una porta d'accesso
 
                             Church of S.Maria of the Roses
 
The church of S.Maria of the Roses, was built at the beginning of the XIV century, by the Merchants university of Lucca. The painting of the main altar shows the Madonna of the Roses, a fourteenth-century pictorial work, among the most important in Lucca. In the medieval times it was considered to be miraculous, becoming an object of veneration. The miracle which brought to the construction of the church and the veneration of the painting, took place under a part of Roman wall that is found today within the boundary of the building, when these were still defending the city. In that time, shepherds used to bring their sheep to pasture under the walls. One of these dumb from the birth realized that his sheep, always pastured away from a green bush. It was January and the little shepherd boy became curious about this strange green bush, he got close up to it to find that growing inside was a rose in bloom, he chopped off the rose and brought it home to his father, during the journey home he realize that he had found once again the use of his tongue. The bishop was informed of the fact, investigated the area around the bush and discovered a sacred image figuring a Madonna and Child, with a sprig of three roses in her hand.
 
Madonna of the Stellario

The Madonna of the Stellario, was given to "Company of the Conception or the Stellario" that had itís base in San Francisco.  It was created by the sculptor Giovanni Lanzoni, and was situated, under the orders of Corinzio, above the column, in 1687. On the plinth of the column, a view of XVII century Lucca is represented.

 
The Door of St. Gervasio and Protasio
The medieval door, dedicated to Saint Gervasio and Saint Protasio, that we can still see intact today, with itís unmistakable cylindrical towers on the sides, is one of the three doors remained of the second belt of the walls of Lucca, it was built on the remains of an old Roman Door and was completed in the first half the XIII century.
 
Contado Lucchese     Contacts